Friday, September 23, 2016

On The Bench: Spiritus Machina Imperial Knight

As part of my "in progress" War Convocation, I have finished the Imperial Knight component.  Spiritus Machina has arrived...



Although I have already built a Cerastus Knight (Lancer), this is my first go at an Imperial Knight.  Since Spiritus Machina is part of a War Convocation, I chose to use the House Taranis paint scheme (Imperial Knights pp. 58-59) as a guide.  I certainly didn't follow exactly, but the main elements are there.

So I started with Army Painter Primer (is there any other primer?) color Dragon Red.  It seemed to be a good match to the Taranis colors, and is definitely in the spirit of the AdMech.  Once the primer was on, I chose the Crusader configuration for my Knight.  I worked two additional colors into the guns.  Leadbelcher (old Boltgun Metal) for the barrels and details.  Then trimmed everything in Bronze.  I am reticent to use gold on my mechanicus; bronze seems to fit the mechanical theme better.

Once the guns were done, I then proceeded to magnetize and paint the pauldrons.  As with the rest of the model, I used a Privateer Press ink to shade the edges of the pauldrons...it gives nice definition to the two halves.  Not only on the pauldrons, but on the legs as well.



Once the pauldrons were done, the rest of the detailing took place, primarily in the form of painting hand rails and some of the mechanical pipes and vents.  Once all of the detailing was done, I went over the entire model with Armour Wash ink.  On the areas with larger open space, I use QTips to remove excess ink so things don't get too spotty.



The final stage before basing is the transfers.  I ordered a set of Freeblade transfers from GW for my Knight Cerastus, and used the left overs from that set for Spiritus Machina.


Given the fact that I don't have the space/facility for an air brush (see my last post regarding hobby in a small space), I am always pleased with the way Army Painter primers give me a smooth base coat as a foundation.  The large areas of silver are a bit more problematic, but I use several layers of dry brushing to achieve a fairly even finish in those locations.

Let me know what you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not moderated and are considered public, but will be removed at the authors' discretion if they contain hateful or offensive words or phrases.