Sunday, August 28, 2016

On The Bench: Dinosaurs Riding Dinosaurs

I entered the world of Sigmar in May.  Say hello to my leetle friends...


Why Sigmar Dan?  A combination of things.  First, a bit of a change in complexity.  Love 40K, don't enjoy dealing with a complex rule set as much as I used to.  That being said, I looked to Sigmar as something that I could play on a casual basis, with a minimum amount of investment.  The rule set is short, but requires a great deal of tactical thought...it is simple.  This brings me to the second reason for giving it a try...money.  If I am going to try a new game system, at this point in my financial life, I want it to be with a reasonable investment.  Bought a Starter Box and a few other toys on Ebay; $250.  I now have a decent size army and plenty of toys to play with.   Another factor I considered was time.  Not so much game length, but time investment to get my figs painted and table ready.  Finally, the "fun" factor.  So many of the special rules are just crazy and can really shake things up.  Despite what AoS critics say, it is just a way to add some flavor to the game and in the end, fun is the reason we do this.  When we hang out with our mates, isn't that what we want in the end?

The last factor is one I want to discuss separately...price of buyin.  I briefly mentioned the issue of cost, but GDub has done a great job with Sigmar in terms of giving folks a very inexpensive way to get enough figs on the table to actually play a game.  By this I mean that a Starter Box has enough toys in it to provide you with a decent sized force that can be fun and competitive on the table.  Think about it: $85 for a set of figs that will allow a good time playing a new game.  Some board games cost as much!  To be sure, there is a certain limitation imposed by only having 3-4 Warscrolls (units) to play with.  But that is also one of the fun aspects of Sigmar...you don't NEED that many figs to have a fun game.  And now that the General's Handbook is out, you have options of how to use your new toys on the tabletop.  With that, let's take a look at the faction I decided on (if you haven't figured it out already!).


I went with Seraphon (Lizardmen).  One of the things that made the process of faction selection an enjoyable experience was the Age of Sigmar (AoS) app.  It is easy to use, and has the rules for EVERY unit in EVERY faction.  It is updated as soon as new product comes out.  I have an IPad, so had a decent size screen to look at while going through the plethora of choices.  The choice for me came down to either Seraphon or Deathlords.  I think the "dinosaurs riding dinosaurs" aspect helped with the choice.  However, the nice thing is, as mentioned earlier, is that if I decide to start a Deathlords army, I can get started for next to nothing.  So intelligent dinosaurs it is.


I chose to focus in a few areas for my first painted figs.  I wanted a Monster, a couple of single fig units, and of course, some mobs.  For the monster, at least to start, I chose a Carnosaur.  For the single models, I chose a Skink Starpriest, a Saurus Astrolith Bearer and a Sunblood; the priest is colorful and the Sunblood has a big club to bash with...the Astrolith Bearer is just a cool looking model (his special rules are just a bonus).  My mobs consist of a large unit of Saurus Guard, a unit of Skinks, and a unit of Chameleon Skinks.  That's seven Warscrolls, which was plenty to get me through the summer campaign.  I actually won all three games I played!




I also have other models that are not painted yet.  I got an Engine of the Gods (a Stegosaur with a howdah), some Saurus Knights, more Skinks, a few Kroxigor, a Slaan, Terradon Riders, a Skink Priest and an Eternity Warden (to protect my Slaan).  Lots of single models in there, so getting them all painted won't be too much of a chore.



Why so many different units?  One of the enjoyable aspects of the game is the amount of interaction there is between units.  It makes a 4-page rule set suddenly require a lot of thought in terms of army composition.  For example, lowly Skinks buff your massive Kroxigor.  An Astrolith Bearer, bravely standing in the middle of the battlefield can buff several units of your army.  Saurus Guard can become absolutely beasty with a few well chosen buffs.  Another aspect of the rules that I enjoy is the simplicity of things like close combat and movement/cover saves.  In close combat, when you lose models, there is a mechanic to check against your bravery.  If you fail, there is not chasing people around or breaking.  Your unit simply removes more models!  Movement is almost too simple...you measure a distance and move!  Yep, no worrying about what's in the way, how many dice to roll, what type of terrain it is...just move your models.  Cover is also simple...you get a +1 to your saving roll if your unit is in or on terrain.  That's it.  No checking for unit specific cover saves, type of terrain, line of sight, blah, blah, blah.  Just a +1 to your save.


So there you have it.  If for some reason you have an interest in Sigmar, there are also a couple of great podcasts to check out.  Heelenhammer is my favorite.  Garagehammer is also good.  I think a combination of post-summer Sigmar release slow down, combined with an increase in 40K releases make dampen the momentum of AoS.  Still, I would definitely recommend checking it out.  For a minimum investment and a bit of painting time, you can have an army to drop on the table and start rolling dice.  Give it a go!

Any interest in giving Sigmar a go this fall?












1 comment:

  1. Always love these guys. Such cool models! Yours are looking good!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated and are considered public, but will be removed at the authors' discretion if they contain hateful or offensive words or phrases.